Above-Ground Poly Tank Installation
Poly Tank Sitting Information
Correct Method for Sitting an Above Ground Poly Tank:
- Your Duraplas tank can be sited on LEVEL STABLE GROUND which has UNIFORM COMPACTION [free of soft spots] with a screeding of approx 75-100mm of sand or metal dust [approx 3mm stone]. The fill must be retained using some form of retaining structure eg [cement strip, rocks or treated pine sleepers etc ].
- Alternatively your Duraplas tank can be sited on a reinforced concrete slab which must be 25mpa [approx 75-100mm thick with F72 mesh] that is level, flat and larger than the base of the tank. Consult an engineer for slab details.
Correct Method for Sitting Tank Half Way in Ground:
- Prepare hole. Ensure that the surrounding soil left in the walls of the hole is solid, leaving a (6-8 inch) 15 – 20 cm gap to allow positioning the tanks, and backfilling with sand or metal dust, stabilized with cement dust.
- If there is major water seepage into the hole from the surrounding soil, the site will not be suitable. Make sure tank site is drained well. Consult your engineer for drainage design.
- A base of 3-4 inches (7-10 cm) of sand or crusher dust must be put in the hole and compacted.
- Tank must be lowered into the hole squarely by crane.
- Tank must then be filled with water above ground height, then back filled with bedding sand or metal dust. Cement stabilize this fill medium.
- It is important that tanks be buried into ground up to ONLY one half of its wall height. (It is also recommended a Molasses grade tank for its extra wall thickness).
- It is recommended that your outlet pick up, from the tank, comes through the tank roof, or alternative plumbing from base outlet is needed.
- If there are 2 x 90mm inlets coming into the tank you will require at least 2 x 90mm overflow pipes.
- Overflow must be piped away from the tank.
- Please be aware Duraplas does not endorse its above ground tanks being buried, any damage incurring to the tank due to its burial will not be warranted, the above information is to be used as a guideline only. Please seek engineer’s advice.
Using a Tank Stand:
- It is recommended that you contact an engineer to ensure that a suitable stand is provided to meet any relevant requirements. Remember every litre of water is 1kg in weight.
Be Sure to NOT Make these Errors:
- Rocky and uneven ground with little or no base preparation.
- Must not have undersized base. The total circumference of the tank must be supported. Ideally, allow the pad to be 100mm wider than the tank.
- Wooden sleepers are generally too uneven and untrue to use for base.
- Don’t use corrugated iron decking as a base.
Important Points When Plumbing Tanks:
- Always ensure that overflow water is plumbed away from the tank. This will reduce site erosion and ensure a sturdy support for the base of your tank. Regularly check the overflow screen and clean when necessary.
2. Underground Tank Installation
- Click here to view underground tank installation diagrams (PDF)
- Underground Water Tank Installation Video.
Please use this Video as a reference only complete installation Instructions can be downloaded from the link above.
"Thank you for your service & prompt delivery" — Steve MonteathI would like to take this opportunity to thank the driver who delivered my water tank today. You are a lucky company to have such an employee. I have spent over 40 years in education & policing & it is an honour to come across young men who stand proud & tall & are a credit to themselves, their families & their employer. The water tank is on site & the pump arrived whilst the driver placed it into position. Thank you for your service & prompt delivery. I will be passing on your contact details to friends & family advising them of your service & the 'quality' of the product. Once again thank you, Steve Monteath
"The Driver Nathan was very competent" — Mark R from Robertson, NSWTo The Manager, I recently had two water tanks delivered here at Robertson by your Company, The Driver Nathan was very competent and also keen to get on with his other deliveries so we didn’t get to thank him as well as we hoped. Please pass on our many thanks to him. Thanks once Again, Mark R, Robertson, NSW
"well-oiled machine" — DarrenGuys I am in the process of buying a 22,700 water tank. I would like to bring to your attention one of your employees Mr Adam Briggs. I have asked advice about many different issues & this guy has replied promptly, given great advice & has been a pleasure to deal with. I work for National Parks & look after Sydney Harbour, I have staff & know the importance of having good staff. This guy is an asset to your company. The overall make up of your company I can see already is a professional well-oiled machine. Well Done. Regards, Darren
Everything was done and dusted within ½ hr of the off load and the driver was on his way. Perfect. — PaulHi Russell,Thank you for my tank received yesterday as advised. The comprehensive instructions and information available on your web page enabled me to prepare the site and ropes for the tank prior to delivery. Everything was done and dusted within ½ hr of the off load and the driver was on his way. Perfect. By the way, your driver Greg. He denied us the pleasure of his company to share a tea break with us in his haste to get to Brisbane. We hope he made it before sunset.A very pleasant and stress free experience.Thank you.Regards, Paul