If you are building a new home in NSW, you need a BASIX Certificate to submit with your development application*
What is BASIX?
BASIX (the Building Sustainability Index), is a new planning tool that affects anyone building a new home. By applying practical measures to the design of a new home, BASIX ensures there is the potential to save energy and water – saving you money on your bills and protecting the environment.
How to get a BASIX Certificate:
- Go to www.basix.nsw.gov.au and login to the BASIX assessment tool.
- Complete the assessment form by entering the design details of the home. The tool demonstrates how the proposed design is scoring, according to its potential to save energy and water.
- Once the design meets the targets, you can print your BASIX Certificate.
- Lodge your proposal at Council with the BASIX Certificate.
*Check the BASIX timeline to see when your Council area will be affected.
BASIX means new homes will:
- Save water
- Save energy
What does this mean for my house design:
- Window glazing
- Eaves and window shading
- Wastewater for garden use
- Light coloured roof materials
- Gas or solar hot water systems
- Skylights to bring in natural light
- Landscaping that requires less water
- Rain water tanks for use in gardens, toilet and/or laundry and for toping up pools.
- Water-saving showerheads, taps and dual-flush toilets.
- Passive solar design to make your home warmer in winter and cooler in summer
The BASIX Timeline
From 1 July 2004, BASIX applies to new houses and dual occupancies in the Sydney area.
From 1 July 2005, BASIX applies throughout NSW, for:
- Dual Occupancies
- Multi-unit apartment
Key points about BASIX:
- To get a BASIX Certificate, you must show that your proposed home will be designed and built to save energy and water.
- Information required by BASIX includes site location, dwelling size, floor area, landscaped area and services.
- The BASIX commitments shown on the Certificate must be clearly marked on the design plans.
- Council staff cannot accept a development application without a BASIX Certificate.
- The BASIX website has an on-line tutorial and other resources that will help you complete the assessment. Or ring the BASIX Help Line during business hours: 1300 650 908
- From 1 October 2005, BASIX applies to alterations and additions made to existing homes, across NSW.
BASIX Help Line:
1300 650 908 during business hours
Address: Department of Infrastructure
Planning and Natural Resources
GPO Box 39
Sydney NSW 2001
"Thank you for your service & prompt delivery" — Steve MonteathI would like to take this opportunity to thank the driver who delivered my water tank today. You are a lucky company to have such an employee. I have spent over 40 years in education & policing & it is an honour to come across young men who stand proud & tall & are a credit to themselves, their families & their employer. The water tank is on site & the pump arrived whilst the driver placed it into position. Thank you for your service & prompt delivery. I will be passing on your contact details to friends & family advising them of your service & the 'quality' of the product. Once again thank you, Steve Monteath
"The Driver Nathan was very competent" — Mark R from Robertson, NSWTo The Manager, I recently had two water tanks delivered here at Robertson by your Company, The Driver Nathan was very competent and also keen to get on with his other deliveries so we didn’t get to thank him as well as we hoped. Please pass on our many thanks to him. Thanks once Again, Mark R, Robertson, NSW
"well-oiled machine" — DarrenGuys I am in the process of buying a 22,700 water tank. I would like to bring to your attention one of your employees Mr Adam Briggs. I have asked advice about many different issues & this guy has replied promptly, given great advice & has been a pleasure to deal with. I work for National Parks & look after Sydney Harbour, I have staff & know the importance of having good staff. This guy is an asset to your company. The overall make up of your company I can see already is a professional well-oiled machine. Well Done. Regards, Darren
Everything was done and dusted within ½ hr of the off load and the driver was on his way. Perfect. — PaulHi Russell,Thank you for my tank received yesterday as advised. The comprehensive instructions and information available on your web page enabled me to prepare the site and ropes for the tank prior to delivery. Everything was done and dusted within ½ hr of the off load and the driver was on his way. Perfect. By the way, your driver Greg. He denied us the pleasure of his company to share a tea break with us in his haste to get to Brisbane. We hope he made it before sunset.A very pleasant and stress free experience.Thank you.Regards, Paul